Wednesday 23 February 2011

Deep-fried Chicken in A Popular Leeds Student Area - Kentucky Fried Chicken in Headingley, LS6

Do you sometimes get junk food cravings? Sometimes it seems to me that the healthier and more carefully I eat, the more I’m occasionally subject to a yearning for a yummy, naughty burger slathered with mayonnaise, or deep-fried doughnuts, or a bucket of spicy coated deep fried chicken. It’s bad!

It’s something I can keep a lid on when I’m eating at home. There’s a simple solution: if I don’t buy it, then I can’t eat it! That’s the way to enforce healthy eating from your own fridge and larder.

It can be harder when you’re out and about, though. Or that’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it! Sure, there’s usually somewhere, even if you’re out and unexpectedly peckish, where you can pick up a green salad or plain baked potato. But where’s the fun in that?



Get Kentucky Fried Chicken In Headingley, Leeds

So the last time I was out for the day with my mum in the student area of Leeds, i.e. Headingley, when hunger pangs struck, we didn’t head for the greengrocers. In our defence I’d like to assert that we did at least traipse around a little looking for somewhere that, uh, had vegetables on the menu. Got to make some concessions to healthy eating! But, uh, our legs got tired, and, uh, well, the upshot is we wound up at Kentucky Fried Chicken, located at 2, the Arndale Centre. Hey, I’m not going to deny it!

I can’t remember the last time I visited a KFC – I think it might actually have been in childhood. So I didn’t have any particular expectations when I walked through the door (although I did have some preconceptions.) This meant that I was quite pleasantly surprised in several ways.



The service was both friendly and quick (I guess not surprisingly when you consider it’s called fast food. Maybe I’m just judging by other fast food chains.) And I would have to admit that my spicy chicken sandwich was really yummy and delicious, as was my mum’s plain one. The fries were really damn good too.

One low point, I have to admit, was the coffee: I was surprised that it was just yer average Nescaff, and rather bitter and thin at that. Still, I can’t claim to have a great palate for coffee: it still did the job and considering how yummy the rest of the meal was, it was really not a big deal.

KFC, then: it’s probably not the place to take your favourite vegetarian pal for a quick lunch. But if you’re not a veggie type, and you’re having a browse round a very interesting shopping area like Leeds 6 (which it is: there are some great fashion boutiques and bookshops here) then it’s worth considering for an economical and tasty snack. It’s not the only eaterie around the area to be sure: but it can probably compete in terms of price and convenience with most of them.

So, you’re feeling a hankering for a family bucket of crispy chicken? Or maybe out in Headingley and in the market for a tasty snack? Try KFC: it could surprise you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment